Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chipotle - 1644 East Evans

Chipotle does a few things very well and that's pretty good considering there are only a few things on their menu. I first heard of the joint when I still lived in Fort Collins and the holiest of holies was Big City Burrito and nothing, not even a burrito sent by God, was going to dethrone Big City. But in 1999, when I had my first Chipotle burrito, I bit into something that was so good it came dangerously close to knocking Big City off its perch. I must clarify that when I say Big City, I am referring to its first location at College and Mulberry. I am not referring to its other locations. Perhaps it's nostalgia, but Big City still holds a special place in my heart. That said, Chipotle's expansion plans have just gone a lot better than Big City's plans. Chipotle is nearly everywhere I go, so I frequent it much more than Big City. 

The first Chipotle at 1644 East Evans is within walking distance of DU, where I am a graduate student. It is the perfect place to go for a late lunch after the crowd dies down because there is no room for a crowd in this Chipotle. It's packed into a room smaller than many apartments. There are three to four small tables and bar seating available. Instead of working down the line of burrito ingredients, one stands in the same spot and shouts their order to the burrito lady, or man, because the burrito ingredients are perpendicular to the ordering line. This, its size, and its basement storage room are unique to this location. Perhaps there are other Chipotles with basement storage rooms, but I am unaware of any. Take a look at the pictures on the wall next time you are inside a Chipotle. There is a picture of the first store at every location. 

I haven't had something bad at Chipotle. I have my preferences (Chicken or Steak) but most of the menu is spot on and very customizable. They even serve a decent margarita. Their chips are delicious and their guacamole is better than most pricy Mexican restaurants. I've done my best to duplicate it at home. 

Perhaps I shall touch on the Chipotle v. Qdoba debate at some point on this blog, but it has astounded me that there is even a debate. Qdoba has never threatened Chipotle. Qdoba loyalists always bring up the queso sauce as a sticking point. I just don't see how Velveeta can be a sticking point. But I digress...

Chipotle at East Evans is a great place to eat at if you are interested in visiting the very first Chipotle. The food's just as good, maybe even a little better just because you know you are where it all started. I recommend avoiding the rush of DU undergrads and eating at a non-traditional dining hour at this location due to its limited seating.

Dined 18 January 2012.

B.

No comments:

Post a Comment