Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Saucy Noodle - Denver

I am way behind on blogging about meals, but I haven't given up...


Anyone who has cruised down University Ave south of Alameda, has eventually noticed the Saucy Noodle. It's been at the same location for 40 years! That's big time. After ordering take out pizza to watch the night of the Oscars, it's clear that they haven't survived off of their pizza alone, which I found to be hugely disappointing. It wasn't a horrible pizza, but from an establishment like this, which has a decent reputation, I was expecting much better. The price wasn't exactly right either. Their large pizzas run about $16 and if there are two of you and one of you happens to be a big eater (me) you better have some backup food accessible. 


I have high expectations of a pizza. I can make a better one at home than I received from Saucy Noodle. We've tried a few recipes in our own kitchen for pizza and the one that we stick by now was featured in Cook's Illustrated within the last year or so. It's a recipe for Chicago deep dish pizza and the finished product stomps all over the Saucy Noodle's pie.


Because of this experience I am hesitant to go back and actually dine-in, even though there must be something great keeping this place alive, right?


Dined February 26, 2012.


Written by B.

No comments:

Post a Comment