Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pizzeria Locale - Boulder

I've been to Pizzeria Locale three times now, just once in 2012 though. The last two times I ordered the Mais pizza because, in my opinion, it is simply the best thing they have to offer. The Diavolo seems to get rave reviews from diners and servers there, but there's just the delightful simplicity of a pizza with plenty of great mozzarella, creme fraiche, corn, and prosciutto, all on some of the fluffiest pizza dough I've had. It's definitely the best pizza I have had in Colorado.


When I left Colorado for a three-year stint in Milwaukee, I was exposed to great pizza, vis a vis the proximity to Chicago, which was great for many reasons. I really enjoyed walking into a pizza place and knowing instantly that you were going to get a great pie from the pros and that the recipe hasn't changed that much in decades, if not a hundred years. It's definitely not easy to have that same experience in Colorado. And, to be honest, I didn't know what to expect when I walked into Locale. It sort of has this pretentious feel to it. Maybe that's just my imagination, but I doubt it because it's Boulder. Snobbery is abundant. Anyways, the snobbery isn't abundant at Locale. If it exists, it's because of the patrons and not the staff who are down to earth, they make a good pie, they have great service (thus far), and you can get out of there for a decent amount. 


And, if wine is your thing, they have quite the list and a sommelier who can guide you to the right decision if you need some help.


There are so many places to eat on Pearl St. They can't all be good, but most of them maintain an appearance of being good. Mostly they try to look hip. Locale doesn't even need to try. They have a small amount of space facing the street and one small door that is quite conspicuous. Find it and you won't be disappointed.


Dined February 25, 2012.


Written by B.

No comments:

Post a Comment