Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mustard's Last Stand

If Mustard's Last Stand wasn't within walking distance of the University of Denver, it would not survive. At least, I hope the good people of Denver would be wise enough to take their money elsewhere and let this place suffer the consequences. 


Honestly, even if the food was delicious I couldn't give the place a positive review. I had the same experience as a Yelp user who had reviewed Mustard's Last Stand. I've been at DU for a while now, I've walked past Mustard's Last Stand many times and I really liked the idea of walking in there and getting some good grub that could transport me back to Chicago or Milwaukee (also a place that has great hotdog joints). But when I finally decided to go in last week, I immediately knew it was going to be a one-time visit. No one greeted me and when I was looking around for a menu a crabby old man pointed at a menu to his right, again, with no uttered words. 


I wanted a Chicago dog and I said the same. "What on it?" The old man asks. Seriously? Just give me a Chicago dog like they would in Chicago if I ordered a Chicago dog. A great joint decides for its customers what the fixings should be on a Chicago dog. A customer orders a Chicago dog because they want the usual: mustard, onions, sweet pickle relish, or a pickle spear, and tomato (chopped or sliced). Dragged through the garden, so to speak, because of its thorough toppings. Any shred of validity Mustard's Last Stand had left was lost on me as soon as I ordered. 


Two Chicago Dogs and a small soda cost me $9.63 too. That was the icing on the cake for me. This place is not worth your money or your time. Look up a Chicago dog recipe online and cook it at home for less and it will be far, far better and you won't have to deal with any one of the grumpy employees at Mustard's Last Stand.


Dined February 22, 2012.


Written by B.

No comments:

Post a Comment