Friday, February 10, 2012

Rioja

I appreciate the inventive dishes that Rioja serves, and I can say that the scallops and fresh bacon from the appetizer menu are divine. The PBJ dessert was a great blend of flavors for an adult with grape jelly and sorbet, peanut butter mousse and peanut brittle--a sophisticated taste of a beloved childhood tradition.  The Monkfish was enjoyable, but light with the sides and not worth the price for what was served.  The Wagyu beef short ribs tasted heavenly, but the croquettes served with it left something to be desired.  Overall, I am happy to have eaten here, but feel the value for what you get isn't always there.  I would recommend others try this restaurant, because it is worth the experience, but I won't be going back for awhile. 


Dined February 3, 2012. 


Written by K. 


I must add that Rioja's entrees start at $22. I almost feel like the pricing there is jacked up just to give it a prestigious feel. The restaurant must realize that people probably aren't leaving their meals thinking it was worth it, but instead feeling like they have been had a bit. And I suggest that they have to an extent because it's Larimer Square. Restaurants get away with a lot on Larimer Square and the worst offender is Ocean Prime. And, in a wildly bad judgment, 5280 magazine named it Denver's best seafood restaurant in 2011. Perhaps I will write about our experience at Ocean Prime last year, but without a doubt, we won't be dining there this year. That said about Rioja, there are a couple dishes there that I've really enjoyed: the fresh bacon starter and the Petaluma chicken entree.


Written by B.

No comments:

Post a Comment